Sunday 12 July 2009

Sunday Burp

Detour to make the journey home longer was required this eve after another draining shift at work. Was accompanied by singing very loudly to Jamiroquai's 'Too Young To Die' whilst chasing the sunset. Was uplifting enough that I was able to bear seeing my sister - who was there when I got in - for five minutes which, let me tell you, is quite an achievement.

**

This week got me thinking of the things I used to love doing but stopped at some point. I guess some would call it growing up, but there are some things that you shouldn't have to grow out of.

My bedroom has these wonderfully huge windows from which you can watch the sun rise and set from. I used to spend hours staring at the sky watching the colours change. I would somehow be up instinctively at 4am or thereabouts to watch the sunrise - no alarm clocks, and this would be just before the sun peeped up so it can't have been the light waking me up! Then I would go back to sleep again. The same pull would draw me to the windows at sunset - it was like a kind of meditation for me. The other day when I went to draw my curtains the sky was one of those beautiful watercolours or something that Paul Duffield would come out with for the Freakangels.
I didn't stop to look and I wondered why as it was so beautiful. Why didn't I stop?

Then, the other day I was working in my room and I put some Sheryl Crow on that I hadn't played in ages. I was reminded of how I used to wonder what my parents thought of the music that would constantly blare out of my HiFi and what they thought of the randomness that would blare out. I wondered whether it provided them with an insight into my personality. I would get secretly thrilled if they reacted to the music in anyway. I know they liked it when I played Norah Jones and Jewel, were pleasantly surprised when I played Nina Simone and Dusty Springfield, and enjoyed a bit of Lauryn Hill! When I brought Dean Martin home my dad was well pleased. We spent a day terrorising my mum with our renditions of 'Volare' which we would burst into at random. If I knew they enjoyed something I would bring it to the HiFi downstairs so we could all listen to it together whilst doing stuff around the house. I was reminded of all of this pretty much because I had stopped playing music in my room for quite a while now. Lately I have been spending time in my room in silence.

Why is that? Is it because life becomes so stressful that you don't have time to look at the sky, or you feel you need every bit of silence as you can get? I can tell you one thing - it doesn't make life any easier, it's quite depressing. I don't know when this started.

**

Eritrean weddings are spectacular! The women look amazing with their traditional dress, dripping in large circles of gold, and had the most intricate hairdo's! The men look so handsome and play such a huge part in presenting the couple, running around with spears and jumping around so much that I was sure someone was gonna have a heart attack! It was so much fun to watch and the singing, dancing and drum playing didn't stop. It created a really charged atmosphere - me and my friends just stood in awe most of the time.

**

Some people are getting sworn at whilst others are having fun this summer. I choose life.

No comments:

Post a Comment